Introducing Parallax's own all-custom silicon, designed at the transistor
level by schematic! The Propeller module is a multi-processing chip, with shared
memory and a built-in interpreter for programming in a high-level
object-oriented language, called Spin™, and low-level (assembly) language. With
the set of pre-built Parallax "objects" for video, mice, keyboards, NTSC/VGA
displays, LCDs, stepper motors and sensors your application is a matter of
high-level integration with Propeller chips. The Propeller chips are designed
for high-speed embedded processing, while maintaining low power, low current
consumption and a small physical footprint.
The P8X32A-Q44 is most useful for prototyping in its 44-pin QFP package.
Connecting the Propeller module to your computer's serial or USB port using our
Prop Plug for programming is quite simple. The Propeller chip can run on its own
with a power supply, internal clock and using RAM for code storage. Add an
external EEPROM for non-volatile code storage.
- Model Number: P8X32A-Q44
- Processors (cogs): Eight
- Architecture: 32-bits
- System Clock Speed: DC to 80 MHz
- Global RAM/ROM: 64 K bytes; 32 K RAM / 32 K ROM
- Cog RAM: 512 x 32 bits each
- I/O Pins: 32 (simultaneously addressable by all eight cogs)
- Current Source/Sink per I/O: 40 mA
- Clock Modes: (a) External crystal 4 -8 MHz (16 x PLL) (b) Internal
oscillator 12 MHz or 20 kHz (c) Direct drive
- Package Type: 44-pin QFP
- P0-P31: General purpose I/O. Can source/sink 40 mA each at
- P31: Rx from host (general purpose I/O after boot up).
- P30: Tx to host (general purpose I/O after boot
- P29: I2C SDA connection to external EEPROM (general purpose
I/O after boot up).
- P28: I2C SCL connection to external EEPROM (general purpose
I/O after boot up).
- Vdd: 3.3 V power (2.7 - 3.6 VDC).
- Vss: Ground (0 VDC).
- BOEn: Brown Out Enable (active low). Must be connected to
either Vdd or Vss. If low, RESn becomes a weak output (5 KO) for monitoring
purposes but can be driven low to cause reset. If high, RESn is a CMOS input
with Schmitt Trigger.
- RESn: Reset (active low). When low, resets the Propeller
chip; all cogs disabled and I/O pins floating. Propeller restarts 50 ms after
RESn transitions from low to high.
- XI: Crystal / clock input. Can connect to crystal or
- XO: Crystal Output. Provides feedback for an external
crystal. Internal C and R selectable for crystals (no other components
- Power requirements: 2.7 to 3.3 VDC
- Communication: Serial for programming
- Dimensions: 0.39 x 0.39 x 0.05 in (10 x 10 x 1.4 mm)
- Operating temp range: -67 to +257 °F (-55 to +125 °C)
Software, and Documentation
Propeller Manual (.pdf)
Propeller Object Exchange (Off