The Hydra is a
triple-output power converter designed to make it easy to get the
power you need for your next project: simply grab the closest battery
or AC/DC adapter, plug it in to the Hydra, and you’ll immediately
have access to three independent, software-configurable DC output
voltages to power your system.
With its palm-sized aluminum case, the Hydra provides all the flexibility of a bench-top supply without using up your desk space. And unlike a bench-top supply, you can use it anywhere: it’s small size and flexibility make it a perfect power solution, whether for a mobile robot or an industrial system.
You can control the Hydra using your computer, an Arduino or other microcontroller, or even your smart phone (using an optional Bluetooth expansion board). Using any input voltage between 5V and 14V, each of the three outputs can be set to anything between 2.5V and 14.0V via USB, Bluetooth, or serial.
The Hydra is packed with features, including reverse polarity protection, ESD and surge protection on all inputs and outputs, over-current protection, automatic thermal shutdown, and user-adjustable output current limits. When combined with the included PC software, the Hydra can function as a battery charger for lithium, NiMH, NiCD, and lead-acid batteries. And with 2.5A continuous current capability per output, the Hydra is equipped to meet virtually all project needs, including powering servos, cameras, wireless transmitters, and control electronics. This is the last power supply or battery charger you will ever need to own.
Features of the Hydra
- One input, three independent outputs
- Control via USB, serial, or Bluetooth (iPhone or Android devices with optional Bluetooth expansion board)
- Adjustable output current limit
- Current control mode allows the Hydra to act as a current source (drives high power LEDs, etc.)
- Charges batteries using the included PC software and a USB connection
- CNC-machined, anodized aluminum enclosure
- Output short circuit protection
- Thermal shutdown
- ESD and surge protection on all inputs and outputs
- Reverse polarity protection on voltage input
- Accepts input voltages from 5.0V to 14.0V
- Output voltages individually configurable from 2.5V to 14.0V
- Output voltage resolution: 0.01 volts
- Max continuous current per output: 2.5A at 5V (~12 watts available per output at any voltage level)
- Output voltage ripple: < 40mV at 200mA
- Buck-boost topology allows the input to be above, below, or equal to the outputs